[robocup-athome] [meetings] CALL for posters to IROS 2017 Workshop: Semantic Policy and Action Representations for Autonomous Robots (SPAR)

Karinne Ramirez Amaro karinne.ramirez at tum.de
Mon Jul 17 11:03:19 UTC 2017

****2nd Workshop on Semantic Policy and Action Representations for
Autonomous Robots (SPAR)***
----Call for Posters and Demonstrations---

We are calling for contributions to our IROS 2017 workshop. We would
like to invite the attendees of this workshop to submit an extended
abstract explaining their current work or developed systems in the areas
of reasoning, perception, control, planning, and learning applied to
robotic systems.

This workshop is intended for roboticists interested in improving the
reliability and autonomy of robots. We hope to bring together
outstanding researchers and graduate students to discuss current trends,
problems, and opportunities in semantic action (policy) representations,
encouraging communication and common practices such as sharing datasets
among scientists in this field.

*** Important Dates ***:
Paper submission deadline: 25th July 2017
Notification of acceptance: 15th August 2017
Camera ready submission: 1st September 2017
Workshop day: 24th September 2017

*** Call for contributions ***
We encourage 1-2 pages extended abstract of relevant work that has been
previously published, or is to be presented at the main conference. The
accepted abstracts will be posted on the workshop website in a compiled
yearbook and will not appear in the official IEEE proceedings.
Furthermore, we particularly call for live demonstrations to be
presented on the workshop day. We encourage researchers as well as
companies (both hardware and software companies) to contribute to the
workshop. The reviewing is single blind and will be carried out by the
workshop chairs.

Please submit your abstract to the workshop official email address
<spar.workshop at gmail.com> before July 25, 2017.

The accepted demonstrations can show their systems and its benefits to a
broader audience. The accepted papers will have the opportunity to
present their work/ideas in a poster session. Two selective submissions
will give a 15 min talk at the workshop. Please indicate in your email
if you want to present as a poster, oral, and/or live demonstration.

Furthermore, a selective number of papers from the poster sessions will
be invited to submit their novel work to the Special Issue we are
proposing in the journal “Robotics and Autonomous Systems”. This special
issue will cover the main topics of interest of this workshop.

***Workshop URL***
https://www.ics.ei.tum.de/workshop-iros-spar17/
Contact email:  spar.workshop at gmail.com

*** Workshop objectives ***

The aim of this one-day workshop is two-fold. First, we intend to
highlight to the robotics community the recent developments in semantic
reasoning representations and semantic policy generation from low level
(sensory signal) to high level (planning and execution). More
importantly, we want to reconcile and integrate various bottom-up and
top-down approaches for semantic action perception and executions in
different domains. Second, we are aiming to compare various
state-of-the-art approaches for generic action and reasoning
representations in both computer vision and robotic communities, looking
for a common ground to combine assumedly different approaches for
autonomous capability and reliability. For this, we would like to
propose and define different data sets that could be potentially used as
benchmarks to compare the presented methods. We would like to take
advantage of the recent efforts that some laboratories took by making
their testing data sets publicly available. In addition, we would like
to encourage this best practice to the participants of this workshop.

This workshop will present the main benefits of this new emerging type
of methods such as allowing robots to learn generalized semantic models
for different domains. We will also like to discuss the next
breakthrough topics in this area, e.g. the scalability of the learned
models that can adapt to new scenarios/domains in a way that the robot
can transfer all the acquired knowledge and experience from existing
data to new domains with very little human intervention.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
  *AI-Based Methods
     --Learning and adaptive systems & Probability and statistical methods
     --Action grammars/libraries  & Spatiotemporal event encoding
     --Machine learning techniques for semantic representations
  *Reasoning Methods in Robotics and Automation
    --Signal to symbol transition (Symbol grounding) & Different levels
of abstraction
    --Semantics of manipulation actions & Semantic policy representation
    --Context modeling methods
  *Human Behavior Recognition
    --Learning from demonstration & Object-action relations
    --Bottom-up and top-down perception
  *Task, Geometric, and Dynamic Level Plans and Policies
    --PDDL high-level planning & Task and motion planning methods
  *Human-Robot interaction
    --Prediction of human intentions & Linking linguistic and visual data

*** Invited Speakers *** (in alphabetical order, all confirmed)

1) Yiannis Aloimonos University of Maryland, USA
2) Tamim Asfour Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany
3) Heni Ben Amor Arizona State University, USA
4) Gordon Cheng Technische Universität München, Germany
5) Gregory D. Hager, Johns Hopkins University, USA
6) Tetsunari Inamura, National Institute of Informatics, Japan
7) Lydia E. Kavraki, Rice University, USA
8) Manuela M. Veloso, Carnegie Mellon University, USA

*** Organizers ***

Karinne Ramirez-Amaro, Technical University of Munich,
https://www.ics.ei.tum.de/people/ramirez
Yezhou Yang, Arizona State University, USA,
https://yezhouyang.engineering.asu.edu
Neil T. Dantam, Rice University, http://www.neil.dantam.name
Eren Erdal Aksoy, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology,
http://h2t.anthropomatik.kit.edu/english/21_947.php
Gordon Cheng, Technical University of Munich,
https://www.ics.ei.tum.de/en/people/cheng

--
Dr.-Ing. Karinne Ramirez Amaro
Institute for Cognitive Systems

Address: Karlstr. 45, 2.OG. 80333 Munich, Germany
Room: 2008
Web page: http://web.ics.ei.tum.de/~karinne/Ramirez/index.html
email: karinne.ramirez at tum.de
Telephone: +49-89-289-26791